raynor electric

Raynor Services - BEST Use of PPC Search Ads for B2C Company

Objectives & Total Budget

Raynor Services was concerned about their Electrical service leads. Previously they did not need to utilize paid search to bring in electrical leads, but the market has become more competitive, which prompted allocating around $4100 per month ($16,275 total) to advertising this service. Starting in February 2023, the goal was to increase electrical service conversions and become more competitive in the market.

Target Audience & Strategy

For the target audience, it was important for us to make sure that all of the client’s service areas were being targeted, but also not waste impressions on people outside of it. As a result, the location targeting was set up to include all of the zip codes that the client services as well as radii around specific cities within which they wanted an expanded presence. Additionally, so as to not waste impressions, the campaign was set to exclude the states outside of the service area. Targeting specific keywords was also a crucial aspect for the success of the campaign. Extensive keyword research led to bidding on 30+ electrical keywords that the campaign would target.

Implementation & Creativity

The keywords we used were all phrase match to avoid wasting impressions on extraneous terms (broad match) as well as not limit the campaign (exact match). Using these keywords, we built out a responsive search ad with 15 headlines and 4 descriptions that direct to the electrical service page on their website. The responsive search ad headlines were a healthy assortment of keyword variations, call-to-actions, and branded headlines as well as dynamic keyword insertion in order to receive an excellent ad strength. We also utilized a wide variety of ad assets including call, sitelink, callout, lead form, structured snipped, and image extensions. Not only will these assets drive more conversions, but they will take up more space on the results page, helping to fulfill the other goal of being more competitive in the market. We used Google Analytics goals (set up through GTM) and Calls from Ads to track the conversions of the campaign.

Challenges and Overcoming them

One of the initial issues we were facing with phrase match keywords was not bringing in the amount of impressions necessary to be competitive in the market, so we opted the campaign into the display expansion. This allows the campaign to show up across on the Google Display Network if there is extra budget in a day. Another route we took was adding in observation affinity and in-market audiences to the search campaigns, which permitted us to apply bid adjustments to audiences we deemed appropriate for the campaign’s success. Minor keyword adjustments were also made, as some of the keywords were competing for the same search terms.

Results & Evaluation

Between February 1 2023 and May 31, 2023, the campaign generated 318 conversions on 1,655 clicks for a conversion rate of 19.21%. It also generated 6.83% CTR over that span of time and a search impression share of 20.71%. The campaign also had a cost per conversion of only $51.14 during that span. These results are fantastic and exactly the kind of statistics the client was looking to see. The results are more impressive when comparing month over month, however. Since the start of the campaign in February 2023, the campaign has seen consistent, month-over-month improvement in the major metrics that we observe. Conversions jumped from 16 in February to 77 in March, to 110 in April, and 115 in May. The conversion and click-through rates saw similar month over month improvements, starting with February with 8.79% and 5.99%, respectively, and increasing to 21.02% and 7.62%, respectively.

The Best?

We consider this the best because we were tasked with a two-pronged assignment for one of the client’s bread and butter services that we were able to smash out of the park. Generating conversions on electrical keywords was the top priority, and we were able to generate over 300 in less than 4 months. Remaining competitive with other electrical services was also of utmost importance, and the campaign was able to command over 20% of the impression share. Lastly, despite a relatively large investment of over $16,000, the cost per conversion was just over $50, so the budget was put to good use. Compared to average within the industry, this electrical campaign was better than average in cost per click and cost per conversion.