The holiday season is undoubtedly one of the most crucial times of the year for businesses. It’s a period when consumers open their wallets generously, seeking the perfect gifts and experiences for their loved ones. As a business owner or marketer, planning your holiday marketing strategy is essential for capitalizing on this lucrative time of the year. However, the burning question is, when should you begin your holiday marketing efforts? In this article, we’ll break down the timeline for your holiday marketing campaign to help you achieve the best results.
Holiday shopping trends have been shifting, with consumers starting their preparations earlier and earlier each year. Economic factors such as potential recessions and high inflation can drive consumers to shop earlier to avoid higher prices. In fact, nearly 90% of shoppers are adopting cost-saving behaviors this year. To take full advantage of the bustling holiday season, you should start your holiday marketing planning early. Ideally, you should begin your planning in August.
Starting early allows you to:
- Identify holiday offers and specials you’ll run.
- Define your target audience and create a schedule.
- Develop key messages for your marketing campaign.
- Plan and schedule holiday-themed social media posts.
While August may seem a bit premature to think about the holidays, this proactive approach ensures you have a well-thought-out strategy in place when the holiday rush hits, saving you time and stress.
When to Warm Up Your Holiday Messages
Just as stores start stocking Halloween decorations right after the Fourth of July, consumers’ minds begin to turn toward the holiday season early. It’s recommended to start warming up your holiday marketing messages at this time to keep up with the trend.
During this phase, you don’t need to go all-in with holiday cheer. Instead, focus on seasonal holidays like Halloween and gradually introduce your holiday offers and promotions. Consider running early specials, launching customer loyalty programs, or providing educational content about what your business offers during the holiday season. This approach allows you to ease into the busy shopping season and capture the attention of early bird shoppers.
When to Go All-In on Your Holiday Marketing
Once November arrives, it’s time to go all-in on your holiday marketing efforts. By this point, Halloween is behind us, and consumers are fully embracing the upcoming holiday season. Regardless of your industry, if you’re not a seasonal business, you should have your holiday marketing strategy in full swing.
For retailers, this is the time to unleash your holiday campaigns, promotions, and advertising. It’s when you can fully embrace the holiday spirit and capture the attention of shoppers. However, even if your business isn’t directly related to holiday gifts, consider ways to keep your brand top of mind during the season. You can offer services that cater to holiday needs or provide content and promotions that resonate with the festive atmosphere.
Quick Holiday Marketing Tips
Here are three quick tips to help your business stand out and attract new customers during the holiday season:
- Invest in a Cross-Channel Holiday Marketing Campaign: Take an integrated approach to reach consumers across various channels, such as online ads, digital marketing strategies, SEO optimization, and display ads. This ensures you’re present wherever your potential customers are.
- Capture In-Store Shoppers: Don’t forget about the significant portion of shoppers who research online but make purchases in physical stores. Update your local listings with accurate holiday hours and consider geofencing to target shoppers in your vicinity.
- Try Something New: Think creatively and consider unique ways to connect with local customers. Consider running a branded content series or leverage video and digital marketing strategies to engage your audience during the holidays.
Enjoy Gift-Wrapped Marketing Success This Holiday!
Holiday marketing can be a game-changer for your business, but success requires planning and preparation. Start your holiday marketing planning early, gradually warm up your holiday messages, and go all-in once November arrives. beMarketing is the leading online marketing company to serve as your team of holiday elves here to plan, execute, and maximize your holiday marketing efforts. By following these guidelines and incorporating some creative marketing strategies, you’ll be well on your way to a successful holiday season in 2023.